DOE Solar Decathlon-SPARC House (CU Boulder)
By competing in the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon® 2020 Build Challenge, the University of Colorado Boulder (CU Boulder) team aims to confront the housing attainability crisis and construction challenges facing mountain towns across the nation. The team created the zero-energy ready SPARC House to serve as a replicable example of a high-performance building and an achievable mountain town housing solution. SPARC is built on the five pillars of Sustainability, Performance, Attainability, Resilience, and Community.
- Designed for panelized and volumetric prefabrication
- Includes an attached rental unit
- Incorporates low embodied carbon materials, such as wood structure, wood cladding, and sheep’s wool insulation.
- Accommodates harsh environment with resilient building systems
- Provides energy recovery methods
- Minimizes power mismatch via a building automation system.